Congratulations if you’ve just got engaged!
Planning your perfect wedding can be a fun and exciting experience, but it’s very easy to get overwhelmed with all the different options and choices out there. For some people the big challenge is knowing where to start …
So we thought we would share a 12 month guideline to make your planning easier:
12 months to go…
- Have the budget conversation with your fiancé (and both your parents!)
- Fix a date and time
- Decide on guest numbers
- Visit reception venues and book one as soon as possible – this will also help fix a date, time and guests numbers depending on the venues size and availability.
- Buy wedding insurance – just a precaution just in case anything goes wrong… A lot of money goes into weddings!
11 months to go…
- Send save-the-dates to your guests
- Book your photographer and videographer (Make sure the church or wedding venue allows photos and videos to be shot!)
- Book the caterer, DJ and/or band
- Make appointments to try on wedding dresses
10 months to go…
- Choose your attendants – bridesmaids, ushers and best man etc
- Decide on your dress (allow at least six months for a made-to-measure dress to be delivered)
- Choose and order your bridesmaid’s outfits.
- Start thinking about a honeymoon, including the costs, season and flights
9 months to go…
- Find a florist and discuss your flowers, including buttonholes, bouquets and arrangements for the church and reception venue
- Taste and confirm your menu and drinks with your caterer
- Choose and order your bridesmaid outfits
8 months to go…
- If you’re getting married in a church, discuss readings with the minister or priest and music with the musicians
- If it’s a civil ceremony, esquire about what readings and music are permitted
- Order invitations and envelopes (allow one invitation per married couple or family), plus place cards, menus and a seating plan
7 months to go…
- Book transport to the wedding venue and on to the reception for you and your bridal party (as well as a car to take you to your first-night hotel or the airport)
- Order your wedding cake
- Choose and order wedding favours
6 months to go…
- Remind your fiancé to get his and the usher’s outfits
- Choose gifts for the wedding party
- Pick your wedding rings
- Confirm the order of service with your priest or registrar, then have guest booklets printed. If you have a choir, they need copies, too
5 months to go…
- Go honeymoon shopping (Remember summer clothes aren’t easy to find in the winter and vice versa!)
- Book a hairdresser and style consultation (do this earlier if you’re planning to grow your hair)
- Book your make-up artist and trial appointments
4 months to go…
- If you’re changing your name, renew your passport now or do it after you have your honeymoon. the officiating minister or registrar will sign the form
- Find out if you need visas or inoculations for your honeymoon.
- Discuss hen and stag night plans with your friends.
3 months to go…
- Pick a company and start gift-list window shopping!
- Book for a colour (if you get your hair coloured) and a trim
- Organise a rehearsal and inform those who will need to be there
- Attend a reading of the banns, if you’ll marry in a church
2 months to go…
- Send out invitations six weeks before the day and keep a list of acceptances
- Check that your fiancé has organised the rings, his wedding clothes, and your first-night hotel
- Try on your whole wedding outfit, including headdress, shoes and underwear. Forgotten anything? Get it!
- Book any other beauty treatments (nails, fake tans, etc.)
1 month to go…
- Confirm numbers with caterers and do the seating plan
- Discuss special requests with your band or DJ
- Order honeymoon currency and traveller’s cheques
- Visit the hairdresser to try out hairstyles with your veil and tiara, and have your final cut and colour
- Have your hen and stag nights – after all that running around, it’s time to party!
There you go a quick run down of how to start planning your wedding. If you are still stuck then why not contact us and have a chat with our team who can help you with your wedding!